Monday, June 24, 2013

Flashback

A UFC commercial just came on before I started watching a YouTube video and I had a flashback to the nights when my maternal grandma and I used to watch wrestling matches before bed summer nights.  I'm talking about real wrestling matches, not this fake, WWE, stuff out here (no offense to all the WWE fans). She loved wrestling!

I miss my grandma Rosa.  She was the toughest and strongest woman you could ever meet, and I learned so much about being a woman, taking care of your home, life, and being a faithful and servant woman of God from just being in her presence.

I spent my summers with her as a child.  She was a great cook and would always allow seconds, a great wife despite adversities, she kept her home clean and tidy, she was a great disciplinarian, she made her own clothes (a seamstress; I still have a few items she made for me), and she wasn't afraid to get her hands dirty and fight for what's right.  She was a great woman of many talents.  The matriarch of our family.

I remember the times we'd go fishing.  She actually was the one who taught me how to fish, bait the fishing rod (with squid, blood worms, etc.), and get my hands dirty.  That was the first time I'd really set out to see and she'd bring along the infamous "Sock-It-To-Me" cake (so delicious).  I did pretty well catching fish.  We'd take weekly trips to Walmart to go grocery shopping and I'd always get a cookie and a smiley face sticker from the bakery.  Every Sunday, my grandma prepared a big dinner after church.  I would help prep most of the time (I learned the basics of cooking with her).  She'd cook fried chicken, green beans, corn on the cob, collard greens, rice, catfish - all handpicked produce from either local farms or Walmart - and I'd always go for seconds.  It was that good!  

There was this nice cherry tree that lived behind her trailer my family and I would always go pick from and eat.  Little kittens lived underneath her house, but it was all cool.  I got my first switch whipping by her (lol).  Good old country living.  I loved every bit of my time with her.  So many memories.

My grandma helped my mom out no matter what the circumstances.  I didn't understand the severity of the circumstances, but my grandma was always a phone call away and would help my mom out when she was struggling to pay rent.  No matter what, she was always there to lend a helping hand, all while battling breast cancer.  That's how loving she was.  She didn't let that affect her at all.  Ever.  

Man, I miss my grandma so much.  She worked hard to set things up for us, even before I understood anything.  The principles and values I learned from spending quality time with her are priceless and I will cherish for the rest of my life.  My younger sister was a baby around the time she passed, but I hope and pray that she too can feel the love and warmth of my grandma from our family recounts.  


My grandma is a great example of the strength of a Black woman.  She kept the family together.  There is no reason I can't accomplish my dreams and goals.  It's all within me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?