Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Big Move: From MD to VA

As many of you may know, I am attending Virginia Tech to pursue a PhD in Mechanical Engineering.  Over the five (5) months, I had been finalizing things for the big move to Blacksburg, VA.  When the time finally arrived, I packed my bags into a rental car (since I didn't have a car of my own for now), rode with my older sister and brother-in-law, snapped some pictures along the way, and made my way down to VT Land.  Upon my arrival this past Sunday, August 11th, I met my new roommate, who is very friendly, personable, and down to earth.  She even showed me and told me about some great local spots, like the Y Thrift Shop (YMCA Center).  The Thrift Shop (pictures soon)!!! You already know.





What a beauty this area is!  It took at least two (2) days for it to finally sink in that I really am living in Virginia now for next four (4) or so years.  Blacksburg is nothing like living in the city or in PG County, MD, but it's a good different.  I've never been up close and personal to so  many mountains in my life.  I love every aspect of it.  There are many little shops nearby and Blacksburg is its own unique township that seems friendly.   I say 'seems' for now because the undergraduates do not come back until next week.


Side note: These Hokie statues are EVERYWHERE! On campus, at the gas station, at the grocery store, by the laundry mat... Everywhere lol!

The end of my first week in Blacksburg is drawing near.  I feel like I've already seen and done so much in this one week alone.    I've gone through training for my library assistantship all week and tomorrow I conclude with a departmental orientation for graduate students.  I have not finished unpacking all of my things yet, but at least my bedding is out the way.



Amidst my business, I assure myself I will have future entries as my schedule permits, as well as upload future scenery photo shoots (where I can practice my photography).  I have so many photos that I want to share with the world.  This weekend I plan to go walk/run/explore town with my camera (and comfy tennis shoes) and take some photos of the area.  Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?