Friday, May 24, 2013

Black Love

I love seeing Black love (especially in digital photography).  Now don't get me wrong.  I do not discriminate.  I love people of all shapes and ethnicities. But there is something special about seeing Black love that just tugs at my heart.

It indeed has something to do with the fact that I am a Black woman myself.  When I see Black love I see strength in unity.  I see power.  I see a foundation upon valued principles of care and love for oneself and others.  Black love is the type of love that I yearn for when the time presents itself as right. 
In my opinion, there needs to be more positive examples of positive Black couples displaying their love for each other in everyday media revolving around more important topics than lust, sex, and immorality.  The struggle is always alive and real.

When I refer to "Black love," I'm not talking about the made up love you see on the soap operas or in music videos.  I'm talking about that Huxtables love, Ashford and Simpson type love, Jay-Z and Beyonce type love (yes, I went there), and Obamas type love - and entity that is definite, certain, uncompromised, and unconditional.  Images that come to mind are the afrocentric pieces of art showcasing a Black man supporting his Black woman companion (physically, financially, mentally, etc.) while she in return supports him no matter what and "simply" holds it down.  They are complementary and together they can do anything.  

As I scroll down my Tumblr page, I see such beautiful images of Black couples in love.  I look forward to the day that God sends something so precious my way.  Until then, I'll admire from afar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?