Tuesday, June 28, 2011

6.24.11 Paris: Day 2 - Eiffel Tower, Champs Elysees, Sacre Coeur

Anthony had to go into lab today, so he lent us his subway pass for the entire day. We went to the Eiffel Tower. I think I know where they got the inspiration for the Stair Master. I did stair master for real by walking up the stairs instead of taking the lift to the top of the tower. It was much cheaper anyway and if I'm physically able, I might as well do it. I took many breaks on the way up and my quads were hurting so much, but the trip to the top was so worth it. If I ever have kids to travel to France, I'll tell them to take the steps if their physically able; it's quite the experience.




H&M's everywhere besides home are great! I got myself these really cute curve fitting/accentuating dresses, a tube top (trying to be a little adventurous/try something new), and a souvenir for crystal. [SN: Eiffel tower "entrepreneurs" work in packs; they work together like taxi cab companies to make as much money as possible from cheap/bad quality souvenirs by hustling tourists. We got approached by almost 50 people throughout the course of my trip. They literally walk up to you as if they are on a mission and you are their target. Will continue later...]



Today, we started bright and early at 9AM, went to the Eiffel Tower (all the way to the top, I got charged 1€ more for being "old" (24years +) which I am clearly not). Anyway I let it go because I went to the top of the FREAKIN Eiffel Tower! From the Eiffel Tower (ET), I could see everything and it was beautiful. I pulled out both of my Kodak cameras (disposable and digital). I could see the Arc de Triomphe because of all of the big trees leading up to it. Even better for me. Then we grabbed lunch at Quick fast food restaurant. I ordered the big bacon burger = AWESOME = SO GOOD! It had this really special sauce in the middle of it. It was on point. We visited the Arc de Triomphe and then went shopping on Champs Elysees. I saw the Louis Vuitton store, Omega, Swatch, Mercedes-Benz, Peougeot, Swaroski (really cool sparkly steps with me in Front).

Then we met up with Anthony around 6:30PM. I got dressed up in my new booties (see previous blog) to go out the eat pizza at a restaurant recommended by Anthony. Boobies!!! I wasn't used to letting all my goodies out for the world to see, but tonight was the night to be free. It felt good and I think I rocked it pretty well. I got a lot of double takes = yes!!! People notice me (lol). My shoes were comfortable for the night. They're quite a good pair. I'm glad I bought them. We went to Cafe de Roma and ordered two pizzas = barbeque and oriental = delish!

Then, we headed off to Hagen-Daz. I got one scoop of strawberry shortcake with whip cream. Do you know they charge you 1€ for whip cream!?!? I didn't care much because the ice cream was so good. It was so worth it. Then we traveled to Sacre Coeur which was closed when we got there. More steps! And they never wanted to end. They don't switch up like the steps at UMBC. Instead we took pictures from the top and sat on lawn and got a good view of Paris at night. About 20 people approached us about buying Heineken beer for 2€. One seller was like 1 bottle for 2€, and 2 bottles for 5€... They think they are slick. Obviously that is not a good deal and their math is incorrect. I hope many tourists weren't ripped off with that one.

Everything started to look the same and I started to get a little dizzy walking down the steps (it's okay, I wasn't tipsy). Leaving there, one street seller tried to grab my hand to get me to buy something from him... Scrrrrch! Stop the car... Pump the brakes... Heck to the NAW!!! I said No [FREAKIN] Merci!!!

Highlighted conversation though:
Man: Hello miss
Me: No merci
Man: Where are you from?
Me: No merci!
Man: Aww come on... [Help me out] Black Power!!!



That made my night event better. I should've pulled a move from "I Love You Man" <insert reference here>. That would have been hilarious! Paris has taught me how to beat/cheat the [subway] system. I am like a natural criminal here. I've become slick and subtle with navigating through the system. Along the way I have been perfecting my "under the rail" technique. Jumping over the thingys, following behind people, for free fares now. It's been great. Well that was my day and night in a nutshell. I'm off to the Louvre tomorrow. So excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?