Sunday, October 26, 2014

Hope For Tomorrow


I had the opportunity to sort through a few of my most recent self-portraits.  This one in particular stood out the most.  My eyes are striking, filled with hopefulness, and you can clearly tell that I am smiling or otherwise happy.  As Tyra Banks would say, I am Smizing.  Mission accomplished.  I decided to play with a few filters and make it pink in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, which is the entire month of October along with other commemorations such as Hispanic Heritage Month or Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

I personally lost my maternal grandmother to breast cancer in 2002.  She was surely a woman of God, grace, and great strength.  I learned quite a few things from her about being a young woman - how to cook, clean, style my hair and dress up, go grocery shopping, interact/play with my cousins and family members, appreciate and respect those around me, and build my faith by being surrounded by other faithful people (we were up in the House of the Lord every single Sunday Amen!).  I used to spend my summers with her when I was a child.  Although I didn't fully comprehend everything that was going on leading up to her passing, I knew one thing - she was a soldier and I would never know she was going through anything.  She always held it down.  I've reflected on her impact on my family before (Flashback, A Trip Down Memory Lane); her legacy still remains.

The world needs some ounce of happiness and inspiration.  I hope that I can add to that equation with photography like so.

Maleshia J.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?